The author of this great prayer is possibly one of the greatest exponents of Bhakthi Marga (Path of devotion) Getting God intoxicated is his method for salvation. His chosen path is devotion to Lord Krishna. The fact that he has written this great stotra on Lord Shiva indicates the catholicity of this great teacher.
“Namo namasthe tridaseshwaraya,
Bhoothadhinathaya mridaya nithyam,
Ganga tharangothida bala Chandra,
Choodaya Gauri nayanothsavaya”
1. Salutations and salutations to him, Who is the lord of the thirty gods, Who is the Lord of all beings, Who is perpetually gracious, From whose head the waves of Ganga are born, Who wears the crescent of moon And who is the feast to the eyes of Gauri.
“Sutaptha chamikara Chandra neela,
Padma pravalambudha kanti vasthrai,
Sa nrutya rangetha vara pradhaya,
Kaivalya nadhaya, vrusha dwajaya”
2. Salutations and salutations to Him, Who is like the moon resembling the molten gold, Who wears dress of the colour of blue lotus and rich cloud, Who gives boons while he is dancing, Who is the Lord of salvation, And who has a bull in his flag.
“Sudhamsu suryagni vilochanaya,
Tamo bhidhe they jagatha shivaya,
Sahasra shubramsu sahasra rasmi,
Sahasra sanjjtwara thejasesthu”
3. Salutations and salutations to Him, Who has moon, sun and fire as his eyes, Who is the universal Shiva who dispels darkness And who by his thousand beamed power, Defeats thousands of moons and suns.
“Nagesa rathnojjwala vigrahaya,
Shardula charmasuka divya thejase,
Sahasra pathropari samasthithaya,
Varangadha muktha bhuja dwayaya”
4. Salutations and salutations to Him, Whose form shines like the gem, In the head of the king of snakes Who wears the skin of tiger, Who has an effulgent form, Who stands amidst a lotus With one thousand petals, And who wears lustrous Amulets in his two hands.
“Sunoopura ranjitha pada padma,
Ksharath sudha bhrutya sukha pradaya,
Vichithra ratnogha vibhushithasya,
Premanam eva adya harau videhi”
5. Salutations and salutations to Him, Who has anklets with bells tied to his lotus feet, Who gives flowing nectar from his hands, To his servant like devotees and make them happy, And who dresses himself in rare gems, With a request Please grant me your love lord Hari.
The author of this great prayer is a great Vaishnavite.
“Sri Rama Govinda Mukunda Shaure,
Sri Krishna Narayana Vasudeva,
Ithyadi namamritha pana mathra,
Bringadhipay akhila dukha hantre”
6. Salutations and salutations to Him, Who is the Lord of his bee like devotees, Who chant of the names like Rama, Govinda, Mukunda, Shauri, Krishna, Narayana, Vasudeva and others like them, Which would completely destroy all sorrows. Note: The Catholicity of the author who is a follower of Vishnu is reflected in this verse.
“Sri Naradadhya satata sugopya,
Jignanasitaya asu vara pradaya,
Thebhyo harer bhakthi sukha pradaya,
Shivaya sarvaya Gurave Nama”
7. Salutations and salutations to Him, Who raises confidential curiosity, In the minds of Sage Narada and others, Who grants boons fast, Who blesses his devotees with devotion to Hari, And who is the teacher of every one.
“Sri Gauri nethothsava mangalaya,
Thath prana nadhaya rasa pradhaya,
Sada samuthkantha Govinda Leela,
Gana pravinya namosthu thubhyam”
8. My salutations to you who is an expert in singing, Who is the feast to the eyes of his consort Gauri, Who is the Lord of the soul and is interesting, And who is always interested in the playful acts of Govinda.
“Ethath Shivasyashtakam adbhtham mahat,
Shrunvan hari prema labhathe sheegram,
Jnanam cha vijnanam, apoorva vaibhavam,
Yo bhava purna paramam samadharam”
9. He who filled with loving feelings hears, This greatly wonderful octet on Shiva, Would soon get the grace and love of Hari, Get knowledge and divine realization.